Everybody lives in a community which accepts us for who we are. We can get help from others in our communities and give help as well. Without a community we would be an anarchy.
In the essay “Blaxicans” Richard Rodriguez is focusing on the ethnicity and cultural identity assumptions, and the way immigrant groups shape a community. In this essay he argues that the United States is reinventing its sense of national identity by not relying on racial categories. Almost in every country in the world there are different forms of communities. These communities are also known as nationalities or in a more specific term ethnic groups. These communities live in one country but their roots came from another country. As immigrants came to America to live in this community, as they brought their different roots of history of their communities, and blended together to American culture. Now American community include many cultures that are ever adapting. The American community has given them freedom and accepted them for who they are. For example, the author is proving that “communities accept us for who we are“ in these quotes: ” I can remain Mexican, whatever that means in the United States of America” pg. 121, and “I come to you as a man of many cultures. I come to you as Chinese. Unless you understand that I am Chinese, then you have not understood anything I have said.” pg. 124
In the essay “A Secret Society of the Starving” the author Mim Udovitch focuses on how communities care and support its members. He is talking about a group of teenagers with compulsive eating disorder, engaging in high-risk behavior, and function as a community. They get on line, talk to each other, and support their behavior. “…Angry girls and women come together to support each other in sickness rather than in health…”pg. 114 The author is focusing on assumptions of communities such as care and support. “The members of a few sites send each other bracelets, like friendship bracelets, as symbols of solidarity and support.” pg. 112 If we would ask the author to agree with the assumption that community “serves our needs,” I think he would agree. Because the assumptions “care” and “support” are the part of the assumption “serve our needs.”
Another assumption “communities accept us for who we are” clearly shows in this essay from this phrase: ”I can go online and talk to them there, and they know exactly what I’m going through and how I feel. And I don’t have to worry about them judging me for how I feel.” This is when Claire goes online and spends between one and three hours a day there, talking to her friends. In this this essay Mim Udovitsh reminds us that not all kinds of community spirit are good. Sometimes people join the community which can have a bad influence on them. For example, young people create a gangster community which teaches their members to hate other communities, fight with them, and sometimes even kill them.
In conclusion, I agree with both authors from both essays about community functions. Communities care, support, serve our needs, and accept us for who we are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment