Friday, March 16, 2007
Masks (Critical Thinking)
In the essay: ”Masks” by Lucy Grealy, the main massage, which the author is trying to tell us, is a commentary on the cultural markers of beauty in our society and on what it means to be “normal”. The author feels like she does not fit in this society, experiencing teasing, disrespect and luck of love towards her. The one day of the year on Halloween, she felt free and wonderful because the mask hid her deformity thus she becomes her true self when her face is hidden.. The author is saying that people do not appreciate life, unless they experienced pain on their own, only then they would have some sympathy to her. “I viewed other people both critically and sympathetically. Why couldn’t they just stop complaining so much, just let go and see how good they actually had it?” (47) This passage explains how the author feels about life. She is wondering why people are waiting for something to happen, so they would appreciate life. ”Turtlenecks are very hard to find in short sleeves, so I bought you several .” ”If you wear something that comes around your neck, it makes the scar less visible.”(44) The turtlenecks, which hide the scar on her neck, represent the same escape as a mask did. Lucy wore them all the time despite the changes in the weather. This passage is important because this is another symbol of the “mask.” ”Later, alone in my room, I opened the book at random. The verse I read was about love, about how to accept the love of another with dignity. I shut the book after only a page. I wanted nothing to do with the world of love; I thought wanting love was a weakness to be overcome. And besides, I thought to myself, the world of love wanted nothing to do with me.”(45) This passage is showing luck of love in the Lucy’s life from her friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment